City : Careers Hall : How do I figure out what I should do?
Working out what job you want can be one of the most difficult and scary things that you do.
But remember that once you get your first job you are not stuck in it for life. Your first job can be a stepping stone to other things.
Your first task should be thinking about yourself, so ask yourself these questions and be honest with yourself. Once you have thought about all of these you will start to have an idea of where you might be happiest working.
- What are my passions, interests and hobbies?
- Do I prefer working in a team?
- Do I want to work in an office?
- Do I want to do shift work?
- Do I have any specific skills?
- Do I prefer working with my hands, doing practical things?
- Am I creative?
- Do I like working things out and solving problems?
- Do I have any work experience?
- Am I good at giving other people advice?
- Do I like having regular working hours?
- I don’t mind when I work, even weekends
- Am I good with technology?